This morning I had the pleasure of addressing 65 Accountants in Auckland. The team at Xero had invited their awesome ‘silver’ partners to a special forum with me. Very humbling. The content I covered was a snippet of content that we deliver through our coachingclub program.
Here are the highlights of what I presented:
- You only have X many days before you die – make the most of what you have left with your clients
- Success is “Doing what you want, when you want, with whom you want in a manner you want”
- It’s your business, you should design it the way you wan to
- Partners of Accounting firms should be making >$1M per year (minimum) – that’s my belief
- Compliance will be a commodity in the future and your margins will be squeezed
- Cloud accounting will ‘wipe out’ some Accounting firms – and a lot of the current compliance revenue
- Adding value to your clients (and gave examples) is the only way to go
- You set the workflow rules with your clients
- The one that sets the rules wins the game
- Toxic clients need to go
- Low margin clients need to go
- Toxic team members need to go
- Team engagement is critical
- Accountants are the trusted advisor – the need to walk the talk
- There is a big difference from flying economy to first class –
- Your clients want you to be successful – after all they are following you
- What services are you providing now – versus what you could be providing
- If you want a different result, you must first make some decisions then follow through with actions
- We covered off in depth ‘how to set the price’ of a project
- Value belief and value articulation are the keys to pricing – not a daft “time X rate” formula
- Stop promoting inputs and start selling outputs
With examples, questions I covered quite a bit in 2 1/2 hours of workshop. Pretty cool. I also let the group know of a webinar I am running next week on Value Pricing – 1 hour of power just on the topic of pricing. You can register for free here.
Also, I announced a partnership for Xero “Silver & Above” partners – where each Xero firm will receive 3 months of free online coaching from us. Pretty cool, worth thousands!
The group enjoyed it. Xero even baked some muffins!