What a whirlwind 4 night / 5 day trip! It started well before arriving due the volcano in Iceland with Nat nearly stranded in Singapore and me in Brisbane. It all worked out in the end with us both sitting together – even after a heart stopping moment when at check in the LED reader said ‘not valid to board’ on Nat’s boarding card. Here are a few memorable moments..
- We stayed in the posh Bentley Hotel although we were collected in a Mercedes Benz.
- We selected the hotel because it was only 1 of 4 hotels available in London with a spa bath in the room – it turned out to be a disappointing regular bath with jets.
- Although I had been to the UK around 20 times before I had never really used the tube system – after a bit of studying the map we worked it out.
- I really appreciated London more than before due to seeing it with a) sunshine and b) running the streets past all the famous sights.
- After the run (and the Virgin after party) I was invited to visit St James Palace as a guest of Prince Edward and the Duchess of York. I arrived (7pm) just as the party finished. No one told me of the appropriate arrival time!
- We visited Harrods (as we always do) and shopped (me hobbling along) for 4 hours.
- It was our 18th wedding anniversary on Monday so (among other things) we went to a show – Priscilla Queen of the Desert. One of the best shows we have been to.
- We travelled up north (Northumberland area) to visit my 89 year old grandfather. He was so proud.
- We visited the church and cemetery where my grandmother is buried. The church dates back to 1229.
- The local newspaper (Hexham Courant) were intrigued of my story (Nat buying me ticket on Virgin Galactic and entering me in the Marathon) so they did an interview and sent a photographer around. It’s a weekly paper – this was big news for the Northern Countryside.
- We stayed on a friends farm in renovated stables. They have converted the stables to a 2 bedroom luxury B&B. The stables were built sometime in the 1700’s.
- On the way back from London to Bangkok Nat & I had the entire First class cabin to ourselves – very cool.
What a trip!